Re: Linux NFS vs NetApp

From: Trond Myklebust
Date: Tue Jan 11 2005 - 19:49:44 EST

on den 12.01.2005 Klokka 00:36 (+0100) skreiv Bernd Eckenfels:

> However since also the read performance of Linux NFS is bad (at least not
> very well selftuning) the Hardware is not really the reason for the fast NFS
> implementation.

Indeed: NFS readahead requests are often processed out of order by the
server (due to the basic unordered nature of RPC calls, the lack of
ordering between nfsd server threads, use of UDP, etc) and so I suspect
the generic readahead algorithm will tend to default to the random
access mode in many cases where it should really be doing sequential
access.

Cheers,
Trond
--