Re: Linux NFS vs NetApp

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Date: Tue Jan 11 2005 - 04:23:22 EST

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 23:42:30 PST, Joel Jaeggli said:

> In actually using sfs97r1 published benchmarks to compare to hardware I
> was benchmarking (from emc, netapp and several roll-your own linux boxes)
> I found the published benchmark information alsmost entirely useless given
> that vendors tend to provide wildly silly hardware configurations. In the
> case of the openpower 720 (to use that for an example) the benchmarked
> machine has 70 15k rpm disks spread across 12 fibre channel controllers,
> 64GB of ram, 12GB of nvram and 7 network interfaces...

If you threw that much hardware at a Linux system, and then tuned it so that it
didn't really care about userspace performance (oh.. say.. by giving the knfsd
thread a RT priority ;), and tuned things like the filesystem, the slab
allocator and the networking stack to NFS requirements, it probably would be
screaming fast too.. ;)