Re: Preemptible Big Kernel Lock?

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Tue Jan 11 2005 - 02:50:37 EST

On Mon, 2005-01-10 at 17:48 -0800, walt wrote:

> Would I expect to see a difference on a uni-processor
> machine? (That's all I have.)

humans in general don't notice things < 1 milisecond. The preemptable
BKL and other latency fixes are (most) there to reduce the existing
typical latency that is < 1 msec to something even far lower. (and the
maximum which is a bit above 1 msec to below it.. but that you hardly
ever trigger unless you try).
So I doubt that you as human will perceive this.
Professional audio applications might notice though..,. ;)