Re: Support for > 2GB swap partitions?

From: Justin Piszcz
Date: Mon Jan 10 2005 - 05:13:02 EST

This was the problem, thanks!

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005, Andries Brouwer wrote:

On Sun, Jan 09, 2005 at 07:34:38PM -0500, Justin Piszcz wrote:

I remember reading in the past that > 2GB swap partitions were supported
in Linux as of recent util-linux packages with a 2.6 kernel or am I wrong?

# fdisk -l
/dev/sda2 17 526 4096575 82 Linux swap

# top
Mem: 2075192k total, 2062540k used, 12652k free, 64k buffers

Only recognizes 2GB of 4GB?

A swap partition has a swap header that specifies its size
(and possibly what bad blocks exist on the swap partition).
Thus, if you did mkswap long ago, the useful size will not
have changed. Do swapoff; mkswap; swapon and mkswap will
tell you how large a swap partition it made, and swapon
will cause the kernel to say how much swap space was added.