Re: uselib() & 2.6.X?

From: Andries Brouwer
Date: Sat Jan 08 2005 - 19:51:58 EST

On Sat, Jan 08, 2005 at 10:07:10PM +0100, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > Another issue is likely that we should make the whole "uselib()"
> > interfaces configurable. I don't think modern binaries use it (where
> > "modern" probably means "compiled within the last 8 years" ;).
>
> I don't think it was ever being used for anything besides a.out so IMHO it
> should depend on BINFMT_AOUT.

Let me contribute a man page. Comments welcome (-> aeb@xxxxxx).

USELIB(2) Linux Programmer's Manual USELIB(2)

NAME
uselib - load shared library

SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h>

int uselib(const char *library);

DESCRIPTION
The system call uselib serves to load a shared library to
be used by the calling process. It is given a pathname.
The address where to load is found in the library itself.
The library can have any recognized binary format.

RETURN VALUE
On success, zero is returned. On error, -1 is returned,
and errno is set appropriately.

ERRORS
In addition to all of the error codes returned by open(2)
and mmap(2), the following may also be returned:

EACCES The library specified by library is not readable,
or the caller does not have search permission for
one of the directories in the path prefix. (See
also path_resolution(2).)

ENFILE The system limit on the total number of open files
has been reached.

ENOEXEC
The file specified by library is not executable, or
does not have the correct magic numbers.

CONFORMING TO
uselib() is Linux specific, and should not be used in pro-
grams intended to be portable.

NOTES
uselib() was used by early libc (up to libc 4.3) startup
code to load the shared libraries with names found in an
array of names in the binary.

Later code tries to prefix these names with "/usr/lib",
"/lib" and "" before giving up. In libc 4.4.1 these names
are looked for in the directories found in
LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and if not found there, prefixes
"/usr/lib", "/lib" and "/" are tried.

From libc 4.4.4 on only the library "/lib/ld.so" is
loaded, so that this dynamic library can load the remain-
ing libraries needed. This is also the state of affairs
in libc5.

glibc2 does not use this call.

SEE ALSO
ar(1), gcc(1), ld(1), ldd(1), mmap(2), open(2), capabil-
ity(7), ld.so(8)

Linux 2.6.10 2005-01-09 USELIB(2)