hanging a 2.6.10-{vanilla,ck} kernel by copying files over network

From: Soeren Sonnenburg
Date: Sat Jan 08 2005 - 07:00:02 EST

Hi all...

Today I tried to copy ~10GB of file-images (files of size of 100-2000MB
using midnight commander) from a firewire device over 100Mbit network (a
samba share). When doing so, on a freshly booted machine the files to be
copied seem to be put into memory first, making the machine simply run out
of memory and hang (well I can get into xmon and see the machine idleing
there but it is unresponsive elsewise).

The machine here is a powerbook 15" with 1G of memory NO SWAP. The remote
machine also runs linux-2.6.10 and exports this samba share.

2.6.10-vanilla hangs very quickly, 2.6.10-ck1 survives a little longer but
one also observes these hangs.

The reverse direction, i.e. copying from the samba server to the firewire
disk works flawlessly.

Any ideas ?

Soeren.