Re: ptrace single-stepping change breaks Wine

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Dec 30 2004 - 18:18:56 EST

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

> does not look right to me. Before, we'd get an 0x80|SIGTRAP result
> from wait. Now, you've moved the 0x80 to live only inside the siginfo.
> This is accessible to the debugger via ptrace, but only very recently
> (late 2.5.x). So this will probably break users of PT_TRACESYSGOOD.

I don't see how to easily emulate the old behaviour 100% - see
ptrace_notify. We always sent the signal SIGTRAP to the process, and then
set "exit_code" tp have the 0x80 marker by calling ptrace_stop() by hand.
However, if we make it a real signal (which we need to do to get the
continue semantics right), we no longer have that out-of-band info
available to us.

We could make "get_signal_to_deliver()" pass in some other exit_code to
ptrace_stop() than just signr. It would have to pick it up from the
siginfo structure, but then we'd have to make sure that _other_ signal
users do that properly..

Patches/suggestions welcome.

Linus