Re: PATCH: kmalloc packet slab

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Thu Dec 30 2004 - 13:03:43 EST

Alan Cox <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> The networking world runs in 1514 byte packets pretty much all the time.
> This adds a 1620 byte slab for such objects and is one of the internally
> generated Red Hat patches we use on things like Fedora Core 3. Original:
> Arjan van de Ven.

Doesnt this clash a bit with yours and Arjans no-prisoners-taken
quest to get rid of order>0 allocations? (4K stacks).

I implemented this long ago (in 2.1 - bonus points if you still find
the leftover hook), but then gave up on it. I realized that to
use it you would need order>0 allocations. In a single 4K page only 2
1.5K slabs fit, but 2 2K slabs fit as well. And there is already a handy
2K slab that works perfect well.

IMHO it is useless except for architectures with PAGE_SIZE>4K or if
you fix the VM to handle order>0 allocations really well. If you want
to add it for sparc64/ia64/alpha etc. I would do it with an ifdef
at least.

-Andi