Re: PATCH: 2.6.10 - IT8212 IDE

From: Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz
Date: Wed Dec 29 2004 - 16:34:05 EST

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 20:12:04 +0000, Alan Cox <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mer, 2004-12-29 at 17:29, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
> > Let me complain once again :-), libata based driver would be better...
>
> Eventually probably but libata's PATA support is pretty pathetic right
> now, it doesn't know anything about PATA drive errata. I did look at it
> and when it grows up into a real IDE layer for PATA I'm all for moving
> *every* IDE driver to it because some of the IDE error path corner cases

OK

> are almost rewrite level fixes (eg DMA changedown, timer/interrupt CD
> race oops)

fully agreed

> > > + * If we are in pass through mode then not much
> > > + * needs to be done, but we do bother to clear the
> > > + * IRQ mask in case the drives are PIO (eg rev 0x10)
> > > + * for now.
> > > + */
> >
> > comment or code is wrong, unmask is turned on unconditionally
>
> Disagree. It says "e.g."

"e.g." is okay, "in case the drives are PIO" is not,
unmask also affects DMA (I believe it is not needed for DMA but ...)

> > > + hwif->ide_dma_off_quietly(drive);
> > > +#ifdef CONFIG_IDEDMA_ONLYDISK
> > > + if (drive->media == ide_disk)
> > > +#endif
> > > + hwif->ide_dma_check(drive);
> >
> > hack, it looks like fixup code in ide-probe.c need to be moved to probe_hwif()
>
> I'm not sure of the best way to do that cleanly. What do you have in
> mind ?

moving ->fixup() execution from probe_hwif_init_with_fixup() to probe_hwif()
(just before code which does PIO / DMA tuning)

>From what I see it shouldn't affect current ->fixup users
(and is saner because currently "undecoded slave" is also tuned).

> Thanks. I'll go and polish these up.

Thanks.