Re: Linux 2.6.10-ac1

From: Andreas Steinmetz
Date: Sun Dec 26 2004 - 20:27:00 EST

Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
What do you need 'serialize' option for?

I didn't check if the problem is gone with 2.6.10 but there's boards like my tyan 2885 which do need the serialize option to work properly for add-on ide controllers.

From the X86-64 patch release notes of Andi Kleen:

Reports that dual Tyan S2885 and S2880 can lock up when multiple IDE channels are stressed in parallel. "noapic" or "ideX=serialize" seems to work around it. Andre Hedrick thinks it's a generic bug/race in the IDE code.

Do you want to force people to disable the io-apic just because of option removal? In my case the serialized devices are a disk and a dvd-rw which is rarely used, so disabling the io-apic is a bad solution.
--
Andreas Steinmetz SPAMmers use robotrap@xxxxxxxx