Pseudo Driver hangs :b_elv_sequence ?SUSE 8.0 SP3

From: Kotian, Deepak
Date: Fri Dec 24 2004 - 07:28:28 EST

Hi,

I saw a response from you on b_elv_sequence over here.
http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0301.3/0472.html

I have observed a similar problem in 2.4.21-138 kernel which comes along
with SUSE 8.0 SP3.

This is mainly for SUSE. I presume, SUSE folks are active on this forum and would respond immediately.Please excuse others, sorry.

In Our pseudo block driver a Defect occurs only when read is done from urandom device &
write to raw device. It basically hangs in kiobuf module.

We are using the buffer_head structure.

We have found by trial and error and looking the source at of raid and md devices that if b_elv_sequence parameter is set to zero, it is OK and our driver does not have a problem.
On looking at the site,we found that you are aware of it. Could you please elaborate.

Question:
Please let us know your views on the b_elv_sequence and reason to set it to zero.
We need to justify whether our fix is correct.

Also, this is not there SLES 9.0 with kernel 2.6 as buffer head concept is gone.
But is the functionality mapped of this flag mapped somewhere in 2.6 or it is not
needed. Anyone here is aware of it.

P.S.
I have posted on SUSE support, not sure when I get response after internal
processing. As it is very urgent for me. I am posting it here as well.

Thanks and Regards
Deepak