Re: [RFC] Splitting kernel headers and deprecating __KERNEL__

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Nov 30 2004 - 13:25:01 EST

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004, David Woodhouse wrote:

> The idea in the proposal which David posted, which seemed perfectly
> specific enough to me, was to move all the user-visible parts to
> separate header files in a separate directory.

You call _that_ specific?

Hell no. You need to do it without breaking existing uses, as noted
earlier, and it's not specific at all. "all user visible parts" is a big
undertaking, if you can't make it smaller than that, then forget about it.

Basic rule in kernel engineering: you don't just rewrite the world. You do
it in incremental independent steps.

Any mtd-specific rewrite is obviously a go.

Linus