Re: [2.6 patch] move OSS ac97_codec.h to sound/oss/

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Tue Nov 30 2004 - 13:06:11 EST

Alan Cox wrote:
On Maw, 2004-11-30 at 01:37, Al Viro wrote:

On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 02:31:39AM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:

As far as I can see, there's no good reason why the OSS ac97_codec.h lives in include/linux/ .

Except for a bunch of constants defined there. Are you sure that they
are not exposed to userland?

OSS never really exposed raw AC97 to user space. Probably it should have
for the whacky corner cases and for stuff like AC97 digitizers.

Acked-by: Alan Cox <alan@xxxxxxxxxx>

Disagreement-from: Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@xxxxxxxxx>

The reason why ac97_codec.h is in include/linux is because it provides a __public interface__.

Adrian's change

(a) makes it difficult to work on OSS drivers outside sound/oss

(b) increases the pain level of keeping 2.4 and 2.6 drivers in sync -- something that I am doing to i810_audio at least.

ac97_codec.h should stay where it is, until OSS drivers are removed from the tree.

Jeff