Re: usage of WIN_SMART

From: Jagadeesh Bhaskar P
Date: Mon Nov 29 2004 - 22:14:28 EST

Dear Edward,
I am grateful for such a descriptive reply. I was exploring through the
ide-disk driver interface, which provides the SMART readings through the
ioctl, using WIN_SMART. At the end its calling an inb and an outb to the
regs, like u said, feature regs and all. Is it possible to do it
directly with an inb and outb from a C program, avoiding the
complexities involved in the WIN_SMART command.

And, can u help me out with the syntax of WIN_SMART class of ioctl?
I know that a buffer like

buffer = {WIN_SMART, 0, SMART_READ_VALUES, 1};
and it is passed to the ioctl.

I have seen the significance of 1st element(WIN_SMART) and 3rd element
(SMART_READ_VALUES) in the ide-disk module's code.

What does the second argument and the fourth argument signify?

Can u help me with this also, coz I've been digging for this a long
time, and haven't been that successfull!!

--
Thanks & Regards,

Jagadeesh Bhaskar P
R&D Engineer