scheduler BUGON lifespan

From: Darren Hart
Date: Mon Nov 29 2004 - 16:13:29 EST

I submitted a patch to active_load_balance() that was accepted into mm
and then mainline. The patch included a fix to prevent the system
entering what should have been an impossible state. The previous code
tested for it and then continued, rather than crashing or complaining.
My patch added a BUGON(impossible state) just in case by some fluke it
still happened. How long should this BUGON remain in the kernel? A
month, a year? Is there an accepted duration for such safety nets?

Thanks,

--
Darren Hart <dvhltc@xxxxxxxxxx>
IBM Linux Technology Center