Re: [RFC] Splitting kernel headers and deprecating __KERNEL__

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Mon Nov 29 2004 - 15:11:49 EST

Followup to: <19865.1101395592@xxxxxxxxxx>
By author: David Howells <dhowells@xxxxxxxxxx>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> What we've come up with is this:
>
> (1) Create new directories in the linux sources to shadow existing include
> directories:
>
> NEW DIRECTORY DIRECTORY SHADOWED
> ============= ==================
> include/user/ include/linux/
> include/user-*/ include/asm-*/
>
> Note that this doesn't take account of the other directories under
> include/, but I don't think they're relevant.

I'm not sure if user is a good choice, and user-* is even worse. Most
people seem to have suggested include/linux-abi for this; I would
personally prefer include/linux-abi/arch for the second.

> (2) Take each file from the shadowed directory. If it has any userspace
> relevant stuff, then:
>
> (a) Transfer this stuff into a file of the same name in the new
> directory. So, for example, the syscall number list from
> include/asm-i386/unistd.h will be transferred to
> include/user-i386/unistd.h.

I'm not sure you can do such a 1:1 mapping. In fact, there are cases
where you definitely don't want to, because the current structure
doesn't make much sense.

> (b) Make kernel file #include the user file. So:
>
> [include/asm-i386/unistd.h]
> #include <user-i386/unistd.h>

Good...

> (c) Where a user header file requires something from another header file
> (such as a type), that file should include a suitable user header file
> directly:
>
> [include/user-i386/termio.h]
> #include <user/types.h>

Good...

> (d) stdint types should be used where possible.
>
> [include/user-i386/termios.h]
> struct winsize {
> uint16_t ws_row;
> uint16_t ws_col;
> uint16_t ws_xpixel;
> uint16_t ws_ypixel;
> };

Good, except your "struct winsize" is bad; you're stepping on
namespace which belongs to userspace. Since we can't use typedefs on
struct tags, I suggest:

struct __kstruct_winsize {
/* ... */
};

.. and userspace can do:

#define __kstruct_winsize winsize

> (e) These header files should be bounded with __USER_XXXXX_H conditionals:
>
> [include/user-i386/termios.h]
> #ifndef __USER_I386_TERMIOS_H
> #define __USER_I386_TERMIOS_H
> #endif /* __USER_I386_TERMIOS_H */

Good...

> (3) Remove all #if(n)def __KERNEL__ clauses.
>
> (4) Remove the -D__KERNEL__ from the master kernel Makefile.

Bad! There is code in the kernel which can compile in userspace for
testing. This is highly valuable and should be kept.

-hpa