Re: 2.6.9 tcp problems

From: kernel
Date: Mon Nov 29 2004 - 14:53:55 EST

Stephen Hemminger wrote:

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 13:03:34 -0500
kernel <kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I've run into a problem with 2.6.(8.1,9) after installing a secondary firewall. When I try to pull data through the original firewall (mail, http, ssh), it stops after approx. 260k. Running ethereal tells me "A segment before the frame was lost" followed by a bunch of "This is a TCP duplicate ack" when using ssh. All 2.4.x machines and windows clients work fine. I built 2.4.28 and it works fine from my machine. I also fiddled with tcp_ecn and that didn't fix it either. I don't have any problems communicating to "local" machines. I've attached the tcpdump output from an scp attempt. NIC is a 3Com Corporation 3c905B.

What kind of firewall? There are firewalls that are too stupid and don't
understand TCP window scaling.

It's a fortigate 60. We put our secure web servers behind a netscreen 5 firewall which plugs into the fortigate and that's when the problems started. I remember reading some stuff on lkm about recent tcp changes but I couldn't remember exactly what it was. Thanks for reminding me !

Here is how it's layed out now
secure_web_servers->netscreen->fortigate->rest_of_network

Thanks !
walt