Re: MTRR vesafb and wrong X performance

From: Alan Cox
Date: Mon Nov 29 2004 - 13:27:14 EST

On Llu, 2004-11-29 at 17:34, Gerd Knorr wrote:
> Thats kida silly, but as I've found some simliar construct in the old
> code I left it in to avoid breaking stuff. Guess there is a reason that
> this was there. I'll take that as proof that broken BIOSes exist which
> don't fill screen_info.lfb_size correctly ;)

Indeed. Also some report less than the full amount because they only
support VGA modes in the lower bits of memory and others like Intel
ICH/GCH based systems report 1Mb because in essence the question has no
right answer.

> Maybe it works better to walk the PCI device list, find the correct
> gfx card using the framebuffer start address, then double-check the
> size by looking at the PCI ressources?

Very very few cards have a PCI resource map that gives useful size
information because they have apertures and are sometimes also windowed
or not all CPU accessible.