Re: [RFC] Splitting kernel headers and deprecating __KERNEL__

From: Arnd Bergmann
Date: Sat Nov 27 2004 - 19:03:47 EST

On Sünndag 28 November 2004 00:32, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-11-27 at 15:27 -0800, Randy.Dunlap wrote:
> > That's addressing a different problem. I agree with
> > David W. that we need to clean the kernel headers up.
> > Let libc or libxyz provide the missing functionality.
> > The borken programs were stealing something that wasn't
> > promised to them AFAIK.
>
> Not only wasn't it promised; it wasn't even working on some
> architectures anyway.

Well, at least on s390 some effort was spent on making it work
(see e.g. asm-s390/spinlock.h). I don't really mind removing
that functionality, but I'd prefer still installing some files
into /usr/include/asm/spinlock.h et.al that contain an #error
and a pointer to an explanation, so users can complain to the
right people (i.e. not me ;-).

Arnd <><