Re: Suspend 2 merge: 35/51: Code always built in to the kernel.

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Sat Nov 27 2004 - 12:29:47 EST

On So 27-11-04 01:00:59, Jan Rychter wrote:
> Nigel> Hi.
> Nigel> On Fri, 2004-11-26 at 10:32, Pavel Machek wrote:
> [...]
> >> Plus kernel now actually expects user interaction to solve problems
> >> during boot. No, no.
>
> Nigel> You want your cake and to eat it too? :> We don't want to warn
> Nigel> the user before they shoot themselves in the foot, but not
> Nigel> loudly enough that they can't help notice and choose to do
> Nigel> something before the damage is done?
>
> You're forgetting that Pavel's idea of user interaction is via BUG_ON()
> and panic(). That's obviously "cleaner", "less ugly", and "smaller".

If you have a "can't happen" condition, it is just plain wrong to
return 0 and succeed. If you can't understand that, well, that's your
problem, not mine.

Now, if you want kernel that asks user "really mount ext3 on /dev/hda3
filesystem to /, WARNING: you should run fsck first, press f to do
that", that's your option, feel free to start your own kernel fork.

Pavel