Re: Suspend 2 merge: 35/51: Code always built in to the kernel.

From: Nigel Cunningham
Date: Sat Nov 27 2004 - 02:10:47 EST

Hi again.

On Fri, 2004-11-26 at 11:08, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Kernel boot is not expected to be interactive. I'd do
>
> if (can_erase_image)
> printk("Incorrect kernel version, image killed\n");
> else
> panic("Can't kill suspended image");

Comes down, again, to user friendliness. Just because I can erase the
image, doesn't mean I should. It may be that the user just pressed the
down arrow one too few times in lilo, and they really do have the right
kernel, but started the wrong one. Or it may be that they're still
setting up their initrd, didn't get it quite right, know that no damage
will be done and want to continue booting. We should let the user think
about what they want to do and then do it.

I need to get on with the work I planned on doing today, so I'm going to
hang up after sending this. That's not at all to say that I want you to
stop sending email; just that I won't be replying for a while.

Once again, thanks very much for your effort. It is good to be made to
defend design decisions and to see where you could do things better or
took things for granted that 'aint necessarily so.

Regards,

Nigel
--
Nigel Cunningham
Pastoral Worker

You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ
died for the ungodly. -- Romans 5:6