Re: [RFC] Splitting kernel headers and deprecating __KERNEL__

From: David Howells
Date: Fri Nov 26 2004 - 22:56:32 EST

> I'm not particularly stuck on the <user/> namespace. We could invent
> and <asm/>? Obviously keeping linux/ and asm/ symlinks for backwards
> compatibility.

I'd rather not change linux and asm within the kernel itself. We'd have to
patch pretty much every file and move all the include files around. That's a
lot of patch.

How about calling the interface headers "kapi*/" instead of "user*/". In case
you haven't guessed, "kapi" would be short for "kernel-api".

Then we'd have in the kernel:

NEW DIRECTORY DIRECTORY SHADOWED
============= ==================
include/kapi/ include/linux/
include/kapi-*/ include/asm-*/
include/kapi-rxrpc/ include/rxrpc/
include/kapi-net/ include/net/

And in userspace:

SOURCE INSTALLED AS
include/kapi/ /usr/include/kapi/
include/kapi-i386/ /usr/include/kapi-i386/
include/kapi-generic/ /usr/include/kapi-generic/
/usr/include/linux -> kapi
/usr/include/asm -> kapi-i386
/usr/include/asm-generic -> kapi-generic (?)

David