no entropy and no output at /dev/random (quick question)

From: Javier Villavicencio
Date: Fri Nov 26 2004 - 22:08:17 EST

Hi, i've just suscribed from work to the list (now my boss will have to buy a new server :+)

The quick question/problem follows:

I have a server that runs kernel 2.6.9, some web and monitoring services, it's connected to two different networks with two different network cards, and somehow a php developer discovered that /dev/random wasn't giving any entropy to him (O_O) so i checked it out...

the (BUG??) follows:
(via ssh, i have no keyboard there)

# cat /dev/random (5 minutes, the server working, nothing)
ctrl+c
# cat /dev/urandom
<snip> (lots of randomness)

then I went to /proc/sys/kernel/random
# /proc/sys/kernel/random
# cat entropy_avail
0
# OMG!
-bash: OMG1: command not found

O_O. No entropy available. WTF??

Then i did a little search in the whole source directory of the kernel (looking for entropy sources) and I've found that NONE OF MY (interrupts generating) HARDWARE was (contributing??) helping with the entropy.

This is the (little) summary of the "working" stuff.
* 3Com Corporation 3c905B 100BaseTX (driver 3c59x.c doesn't give any entropy).
* Intel Corp. 82557/8/9 [Ethernet Pro 100] (driver eepro100.c o_O)
* Mylex Corporation DAC960PRL (driver DAC960.c neither)

So and this is the /proc/interrupts output:
0: 2991777 15 IO-APIC-edge timer
2: 0 0 XT-PIC cascade
5: 434913 1 IO-APIC-level eth0
8: 2 0 IO-APIC-edge rtc
9: 383701 0 IO-APIC-level eth1
10: 101 0 IO-APIC-level sym53c8xx
11: 0 0 IO-APIC-level uhci_hcd
15: 14543 1 IO-APIC-level Mylex DAC960PG

As you may see my only sources of entropy where the timer, eth0, eth1 and the DAC960.
So I patched my 3 drivers (near request_irq, sending SA_SAMPLE_RANDOM | SA_SHIRQ in the call).
Now I have entropy :+):

# cat /proc/sys/kernel/random/entropy_avail
4096

The quick question (at last), is this "right?" I mean, everything works as before, no problems (so far) and the php developer is happy. It is "risky" to put this in the DAC960 driver? (seems pretty much complicated compared with others i've touched in my life)

Thanks for any advice.