network console

From: Aleksandar Milivojevic
Date: Fri Nov 26 2004 - 16:29:26 EST

Has anybody attempted to implement console on network interface (with or without encryption, preferably with some form of authentication)? Either using TCP, UDP, Ethernet datagrams, or whatever. Possibly with LILO support so that LILO prompt can be accessed through it too (OK, LILO support is probably *way* too much to ask for, but maybe some other more complex boot loader?).

I know the security implications of using such an console, but for my home environment, if something like that existed it would be quite handy. I have a box with no keyboard/monitor, and to use serial console I'd have to route loooooong serial cable through half of my house, and I already have network cable in place (took me half of the day to route that one, and another half of the day to wash myself from all the dirt and dust hidden in most obscure places that light of the day never touches).

If such a beast exists, what would be required on the client side? Linux-only client, or is there Windows client too?

TIA,
Alex