Re: modprobe + request_module() deadlock

From: Rusty Russell
Date: Fri Nov 26 2004 - 14:38:55 EST

On Thu, 2004-11-25 at 17:03 +0100, Gerd Knorr wrote:

> > > I think I can, havn't tried yet through.
>
> Untested proof-of-concept code (don't have a saa7134 card in my machine
> at the moment), but that way it could work I think. Tried to keep it
> generic. Basically it keeps a list of pending module loads and the
> dependencies. Then it hooks into the module state notifier chain and
> calls request_module() once the depending module went to LIVE state.
>
> Comments?

A little generic for my tastes. I was thinking more like the below
(equally untested). Note that strictly we should call the module
notifier for NULL at the end of the boot sequence, too.
===
static int want_empress, want_dvb;

/* These need our symbols: we must be fully loaded for them to load */
static int pending_call(struct notifier_block *self, unsigned long state,
void *module)
{
if (module != THIS_MODULE || state != MODULE_STATE_LIVE)
return NOTIFY_DONE;

if (want_empress)
request_module("saa7134-empress");
if (want_dvb)
request_module("saa7134-dvb);
return NOTIFY_DONE;
}

static struct notifier_block pending_notifier = {
.notifier_call = pending_call,
};

int init(void)
{
,,,
register_module_notifier(&pending_notifier);
}

void cleanup(void)
{
unregister_module_notifier(&pending_notifier);
}

--
A bad analogy is like a leaky screwdriver -- Richard Braakman