Re: status of cdrom patches for 2.4 ?

From: Jens Axboe
Date: Wed Nov 24 2004 - 10:50:39 EST

On Wed, Nov 24 2004, O.Sezer wrote:
> Jens Axboe wrote:

> >>There were problems with the DVD-RW patches so I reverted them.
>
> Yup. Pat then posted a patch which supposedly fixed it by placing
> something like
> else if (CDROM_CAN(CDC_DVD_RAM))
> ret = 0;
> in cdrom_open_write():
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-scsi&m=109156820507518&w=2
>
> Jens' MRW patch also introduces a new function: cdrom_dvdram_open_write
> (which, in turn, calls cdrom_media_erasable), CDROM_CAN(CDC_DVD_RAM)
> check in cdrom_open_write() is assigned to it; which again is supposed
> to fix it.

Fix that issue. More might crop up.

> >>Jens, what do you think?
> >

> >I don't think it's worth the bother, the support is in 2.6. And I don't
> >want to maintain new atapi stuff for 2.4. Pat used to care about the
> >patches, but as he is no longer with Iomega I don't think there's anyone
> >to look after it.
>
> Which is truly a pity. Yes I can understand that a maintainer needs
> to concentrate on new trees etc, but it's pity. Especially hearing
> the pre-recorded "Hey 2.6 already has it, upgrade to it" message is
> always nice ;)

You conveniently ignore that 2.4 is in bug fix mode, and a strict one
now even. And then you want to add new features to a driver that is both
used on almost every machine and also drives the most picky and buggy
hardware out there? So please can the 'pre-recorded' message crap. You
are not the one that will have to pick up the pieces if something
breaks.

--
Jens Axboe