Re: [linux-usb-devel] [2.6.10-rc2] ehci_hcd causes oops after some use of usb harddisk

From: Jan De Luyck
Date: Tue Nov 23 2004 - 15:44:05 EST

On Tuesday 23 November 2004 21:03, David Brownell wrote:

> > lsusb -v for the specific device:
> > Bus 001 Device 002: ID 05e3:0702 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB 2.0 IDE Adapter
> > Device Descriptor:
> > bLength 18
> > bDescriptorType 1
> > bcdUSB 2.00
> > bDeviceClass 0 (Defined at Interface level)
> > bDeviceSubClass 0
> > bDeviceProtocol 0
> > bMaxPacketSize0 64
> > idVendor 0x05e3 Genesys Logic, Inc.
> > idProduct 0x0702 USB 2.0 IDE Adapter
>
> ... those GeneSys devices have been sufficiently problematic that I,
> for one, won't investigate bug reports involving them any more. The
> devices have several problems where they lock up when Linux does
> perfectly legal things. Avoid them.

Yeah... well, unfortunately, it's almost impossible to get your hands on a usb
enclosure, break the seals on the wrapping, test it, then go back nagging it
doesn't work at the vendor - while it does work in <insert certain os name
here>. While I do agree - and try to find linux-compatible devices whenever
possible - this isn't really helpful to the end-user imo...

I've got it working now, and it works great after the udelay(200);
modification.

Jan

--
Witch! Witch! They'll burn ya!
-- Hag, "Tomorrow is Yesterday", stardate unknown