Re: file as a directory

From: Jan Engelhardt
Date: Tue Nov 23 2004 - 00:17:00 EST

>>(Hint - "file as directory" broke a number of programs that didn't
>>expect that a file *could* be a directory, when run on a reiser4
>>filesystem...)
>
>It broke extraordinarily few.

(The fewer the better.)

That's good news, and frankly, I did not expect anything else. That's because
either programs definitely know that "it" is a file/directory because they just
mkdir'ed or so, or they implement correct error checks, e.g. the user just
created a directory and we check back (i.e. race protection).

What I am worried about is the opendir() libc call, which AFAIK does this:
fd = open("directory", myflags | O_DIRECTORY)

OTOH, I'm not worried, because it should be the user's duty to check whether
directory really is one or not. Anything else is sloppy programming.
(Exception: taking argv[xx] from the user)

Cheers,
Jan Engelhardt
--
Gesellschaft fÃr Wissenschaftliche Datenverarbeitung
Am Fassberg, 37077 GÃttingen, www.gwdg.de