Re: Priority Inheritance Test (Real-Time Preemption)

From: john cooper
Date: Mon Nov 22 2004 - 20:41:12 EST

Bill Huey (hui) wrote:
On Mon, Nov 22, 2004 at 09:16:18AM -0500, john cooper wrote:

I'd hazard a guess the reason existing implementations do not
do this type of dependency-chain closure is the complexity of a
general approach. Getting correct behavior and scaling on SMP
require some restrictions of how lock ownership is maintained,
otherwise fine grained locking is not possible. Another likely

What do you mean by that ? Are you talking about strict priority
obedience by the system ?

Not quite if I understand your question. I was referring to
avoiding having a global lock to synchronize the conglomerate
data structure when doing a PI dependency walk. The problem
is the lock must be acquired not only in PI scenarios but in
any case which may possibly lead to one or affect a concurrent
PI in progress.

True this global lock is mostly an issue for large count
SMP systems. But as witnessed by such voodoo[1] mechanisms
as rcu, scalability problems are real at that end of the
spectrum.

-john

[1] in a 'nice' way.

--