Re: why use ACPI (Re: 2.6.10-rc2 doesn't boot (if no floppy device))

From: Dave Jones
Date: Mon Nov 22 2004 - 20:31:00 EST

On Mon, Nov 22, 2004 at 08:07:36PM -0500, Len Brown wrote:

> Laptops have had soft poweroff with APM for a while, but desktops and
> servers never adopted APM, so soft-power-off is generally a new feature
> with ACPI for them.

Nonsense.

My 4-way compaq server disagrees with you. No ACPI on that
at all, and it has fully working APM, even in SMP. Likewise,
I don't think I've ever seen a desktop without APM.
(modulo broken biosen).

IIRC, APM supported this since the arrival of ATX power supplies,
which was a _long_ time ago. 1996/1997 ?

Dave