Re: page fault scalability patch V11 [0/7]: overview

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Mon Nov 22 2004 - 14:41:23 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004, Nick Piggin wrote:

The per thread rss may wrap (maybe not 64-bit counters), but even so,
the summation over all threads should still end up being correct I
think.

Yes. As long as the total rss fits in an int, it doesn't matter if any of
them wrap. Addition is still associative in twos-complement arithmetic even in the presense of overflows.

If you actually want to make it proper standard C, I guess you'd have to make the thing unsigned, which gives you the mod-2**n guarantees even if somebody were to ever make a non-twos-complement machine.

I think other stuff breaks as well, I think I saw you post some example code using something like (a & -a) or similar within the last few months. Fortunately neither 1's comp or BCD are likeliy to return in hardware. Big-end vs. little-end is still an issue, though.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)