Re: [patch] Real-Time Preemption, -RT-2.6.10-rc2-mm2-V0.7.30-2

From: Eran Mann
Date: Mon Nov 22 2004 - 08:43:41 EST

Ingo Molnar wrote:
* Eran Mann <emann@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,
I´m seeing latencies of up to ~2000 microseconds. see attached traces
file for a small sample. I think I´m missing something obvious
config-wise but I don´t know what...

this seems to imply IDE DMA related hardware overhead. Apparently what
happens is that with certain motherboards/chipsets, if IDE DMA happens
then that DMA transfer _completely locks up_ the system bus. Nothing happens, and the CPU is stalled in essence until the end of the DMA request.

Ingo

Right on.
After hdparm -d0 I see maximum latency of 35 us after a full kernel build with a few GUI apps in the background. I´ll try to find a reasonable compromise.
--
Eran Mann