Re: performance of filesystem xattrs with Samba4

From: tridge
Date: Sat Nov 20 2004 - 21:15:37 EST

Andrew,

> Is it reproducible with your tricked-up dbench?
>
> If so, please send me a machine description and the relevant command line
> and I'll do a bsearch.

I should explain a little more ....

The current dbench is showing way too much variance on this test to be
really useful. Here are the numbers for 5 runs of dbench 10 on
2.6.10-rc2 and 2.6.10-rc2-mm2:

2.6.10-rc2 325
320
364
360
347

-mm2 347
371
411
322
384

I've solved this variance problem in NBENCH by making the runs fixed
time rather than fixed number of operations, and adding a warmup
phase. I need to do the same to dbench in order to get sane numbers
out that would be at all useful for a binary patch search.

The current dbench worked OK when computers were slower, but now it is
completing its runs so fast that the noise is just silly.

Cheers, Tridge