Re: [2.6 patch] remove obsolete Computone MAINTAINERS entry (fwd)

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Sat Nov 20 2004 - 12:50:43 EST

On Sat, Nov 20, 2004 at 10:06:17AM -0500, Jim Nelson wrote:
> Adrian Bunk wrote:

> >>wittsend.com is still there and Michael still runs it.
> >

> >At least the listed mailing list is defunct:
> >
> ><linux-computone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> >Sorry, I wasn't able to establish an SMTP connection. (#4.4.1)
> >I'm not going to try again; this message has been in the queue too long.
> >

> >And to be honest, I don't see that much value in shiping entries in
> >MAINTAINERS for people who have reseigned as maintainers.
>
> If someone is willing to step up to the plate and get the driver working
> again, it would be better to have the contact information for the old
> maintainer available in a centralized location. Plus, anyone who tries the

It's still in Documentation/computone.txt, and if someone wants to do
seroious work on an orphaned driver, I assume he'll start with reading
the driver and documentation.

> driver and finds it busted can look in the MAINTAINERS file and find out
> that it's not being fixed, instead of it being one of those drivers that
> has no defined maintainer (I've run across a few).
>
> After all, we do have to be honest about unmaintained drivers - rather than
> hiding broken code. Honestly, it's better to define who's responsible for
> an area of code, even if it no longer works.

MAINTAINERS does not cover all drivers.
It's not about being honest or about hiding broken code, but adding
let's say fifty entries for no longer supported drivers isn't of any
practical value.

At least I'm checking MAINTAINERS for people who want to receive the
patches I send today, not for people who have worked on the driver at
some time in the past. Adding information about orphaned drivers to this
file simply makes it harder to find whether valid entries covering the
driver in question exist.

If someone steps up and wants to generate and maintain a driver status
document that would be fine with me. But this would require a serious
amount of work and is more than just adding a few orphaned drivers to
MAINTAINERS.

> My $0.02.
>
> Jim

cu