Re: wait_event_interruptible() seems non-atomic

From: Manfred Spraul
Date: Sat Nov 20 2004 - 11:18:24 EST

Hi Jan,

I would like to also lock Buffer_lock around BufRP != BufWP, but don't see a
way on how to accomplish this.

This is not a problem: You compare BufRP and BufWP twice: once within wait_event_interruptible (without locking) and again a second test in your uif_read function with locking.
You are right that the test within wait_event_interruptible is optimistic: a concurrent uif_read could read the new data before the initial uif_read has a chance to acquire the BufferLock. But it doesn't matter: AFAICS the test is optimistic, it can't happen that BufRP and WP are actually different and wait_event sleeps. And the external loop within uif_read() just loops if the race that you describe happened.

Btw, could you post a link to the complete driver when asking questions? For example the use of down_interruptible() looks wrong to me, I'd use plain down().

--
Manfred