Re: performance of filesystem xattrs with Samba4

From: tridge
Date: Sat Nov 20 2004 - 06:02:01 EST

Anton,

> But to answer your question I definitely would envisage an interface to
> the kernel driver rather than to libntfs. It is 'just' a matter of
> deciding how that would look...

How about prototyping the API in user space, using a "mmap the block
device" based filesystem library?

You might also like to take a peek at
http://samba.org/ftp/unpacked/samba4/source/include/smb_interfaces.h
and
http://samba.org/ftp/unpacked/samba4/source/ntvfs/ntvfs.h

those two files define the NTFS-like interfaces in Samba4. The
interface has proved to be quite flexible.

> Partially we will see what happens with Reiser4 as it faces the same or at
> least very simillar interface problems.

yep, I'm looking forward to experimenting with the "file is a
directory" stuff in reiser4 to see how well it can be made to match
what is needed for Samba4.

Cheers, Tridge