2.6.10-rc2-mm2 crashes in early boot

From: Dave Hansen
Date: Fri Nov 19 2004 - 19:13:55 EST

I enabled crashdump on 2.6.10-rc2-mm2 with CONFIG_SMP=y and hit the bug
in smp_alloc_memory() because trampoline_base was allocated too high.
It needs to be below 0x9F000 and crash_reserve_bootmem() reserves
everything below 0xa0000. I'm not sure how this ever worked with SMP.

Here's my .config: http://sprucegoose.sr71.net/~dave/lkcd-config

Commenting out the following line makes it boot:

static inline void crash_reserve_bootmem(void)
{
if (!dump_enabled) {
-------> reserve_bootmem(0, CRASH_RELOCATE_SIZE);
reserve_bootmem(CRASH_BACKUP_BASE,
CRASH_BACKUP_SIZE + CRASH_RELOCATE_SIZE + PAGE_SIZE);
}
}

The comments don't quite tell *why* LKCD needs any of the memory. (Oh,
wait, there *aren't* any comments :)

-- Dave