question on accessing device nodes for drivers that are not loaded

From: Chris Friesen
Date: Fri Nov 19 2004 - 17:00:26 EST

I'm working on 2.6.9. I wrote a driver as a module that binds in as a misc char device.

I created the node for it manually, tested loading/unloading, running, etc.

Then I unloaded the driver, and tried running my little test app. It appears to have hung on the call to open the device node (for which there was no driver loaded). Top shows it in D state. Then I went to load the driver module, and the insmod command hung with a refcount of 1.

Is this expected behaviour?

Chris