Re: ptrace single-stepping change breaks Wine

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Nov 19 2004 - 15:00:19 EST

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004, Eric Pouech wrote:

> I don't have 2.6.9 installed here, I'm just reporting & interpreting bug reports
> we have from end users. I'll try to make on the bug reporters try to fix the
> other spots, but that's always easier from them the get the source from one spot.

Btw, does wine ever _use_ PTRACE_SINGLESTEP for any of the things it does?

If it does, then that woulc certainly explain why my "fix" made no
difference: my fix _only_ handles the case where the ptracer never
actually asks for single-stepping, and single-stepping was started
entirely by the program being run (ie by setting TF in eflags from within
the program itself).

But if wine ends up using PTRACE_SINGESTEP because wine actually wants to
single-step over some instructions, then the kernel will set the PT_DTRACE
bit, and start tracing through signal handlers too. The way Wine doesn't
want..

Linus