Re: [patch, 2.6.10-rc2] fix __flush_tlb*() preemption bug on CONFIG_PREEMPT

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Thu Nov 18 2004 - 21:51:08 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:

But yes, it may well make perfect sense to say "we have to hold the page table spinlock in order to flush the tlb". Is that actually true right now?

Can we try not to ratify a rule like that? :)

We're somewhat closeish to being able to entirely remove the ptl, so
it might just get awkward if people think they can rely on that rule.

Of course, _if_ holding the ptl is the nicest way to do things in the
mainline kernel then yeah OK I can't argue with that... but if at all
possible... pretty please?

Thanks,
Nick