Potential security problem in patch: Fix reading /proc/<pid>/memwhen parent dies.

From: Alan Cox
Date: Thu Nov 18 2004 - 19:43:47 EST

On Iau, 2004-11-18 at 16:01, Linux Kernel Mailing List wrote:
> ChangeSet 1.2155, 2004/11/18 08:01:00-08:00, torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Fix reading /proc/<pid>/mem when parent dies.
>
> We should not touch "self_exec_id" here. The parent changed,
> not we.

The original point of this was that if our parent changed then our new
parent is not aware of our special status. As a result we can send
random signals to init and since it does not see SIGCLD we can get
zombies or worse when we exit.

The original code was correct here for protecting init. The side effect
does need fixing but not this way. Perhaps it would be simpler just to
protect init as it is already "special" for signal handling.

Alan