Re: [ANNOUNCE] a very tiny /sbin/hotplug

From: Greg KH
Date: Thu Nov 18 2004 - 19:30:57 EST

On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 05:53:01PM -0600, Chris Larson wrote:
> * Eugene Surovegin (ebs@xxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 03:14:06PM -0800, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> > > So, a number of people have complained over the past few years about the
> > > fact that /sbin/hotplug was a shell script. Funny enough, it's the
> > > people on the huge boxes, with huge number of devices that are
> > > complaining, not the embedded people with limited resources (ironic,
> > > isn't it...)
> >
> > This is probably because embedded people don't use hotplug at all :).
> > On dozen different PPC and MIPS boxes I worked on, we never needed
> > this feature.
>
> I tend to focus on ARM, and find this very useful. I know of a number
> of folks using erik andersen's "diethotplug" (which hasnt been touched
> in some time). I look forward to your further hotplug improvements.

Yes, diethotplug is based on my old package called, supprise,
diethotplug, and is located at
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/

But that only does module loading. The "full" replacement of today's
/sbin/hotplug functionality needs this hotplug multiplexer, and a
diethotplug replacement (which can get much smaller than the current
diethotplug due to the way modprobe works in 2.6.)

thanks,

greg k-h