RE: Linux 2.4.28-rc4

From: Massimo Cetra
Date: Thu Nov 18 2004 - 19:18:04 EST

> Marcelo and I discussed this via private e-mail; it's in the
> queue for 2.4.29-pre. I think in the end we both agreed that
> it's too late in the
> 2.4.28 cycle to include these patches.
>
> -Barry K. Nathan <barryn@xxxxxxxxx>

Why such a decision ?

Do you think that it is not exploitable or at least not in a short time ?

I don't think 2.4.29 will see the light in a short time so, unless there are
serious problems arising from these patches (and 2.6 should be affected
too), I think that for the sake of security it may be worthy and clever
includind these patches (and delay 2.4.28 for some days...)

M$ is waiting for a gold occasion to shot on linux.
A known buffer overflow, not patched soon, may be used against linux and,
what interest me more, we could avoid updating kernels on tons pf production
servers for something which could be patched before.

Massimo Cetra