RE: e820 and shared VGA memory problem

From: Pallipadi, Venkatesh
Date: Thu Nov 18 2004 - 17:01:51 EST

What does your mtrr settings say? Can you get output of /proc/mtrr for
both case: System running fine with "mem=" and system being slow when
there is no "mem=".

I have seen similar problems on different hardware. And the issue was
due to the fact that BIOS mtrr setting and BIOS E820 doesn't agree with
each other regarding the usable memory. BIOS says some part of memory as
usable in E820 and sets mtrr as uncacheable to the same memory range.

-Venki