Re: [patch 2] Xen core patch : arch_free_page return value

From: William Lee Irwin III
Date: Thu Nov 18 2004 - 05:48:03 EST

On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 02:14:19AM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Just send 'em to linux-kernel first-up and cc everyone else. That way you
> avoid duplication of effort and everyone is on the same page.
> I'm still struggling to understand the rationale behind the mem.c change
> btw. io_remap_page_range() _is_ remap_page_range() (or, now,
> remap_pfn_range()) on x86. So whatever the patch is supposed to be doing,
> it's a no-op.

Sorry for stepping in so late. io_remap_page_range() has an
architecture-specific calling convention. It can't be used in code
shared across where the calling conventions differ until that's
resolved (which I intend to do, though I'm not going to stop anyone
from doing it before I get around to it).

As drivers/char/mem.c is shared across all architectures, using
io_remap_page_range() there now is unsound and some other method to
accomplish whatever it does beyond remap_pfn_range() must be found
unless the io_remap_page_range() calling convention is resolved first.

-- wli