Re: GPL version, "at your option"?

From: Alan Cox
Date: Wed Nov 17 2004 - 12:18:02 EST

On Mer, 2004-11-17 at 16:33, Michael Poole wrote:
> I have no argument that restricting it to v2 is potentially harmful,
> but allowing distribution under GPL v3 is also potentially harmful
> since the terms are not yet known, and later v3plus changes would
> restrict the whole work to v3plus.

Oh believe me I understand exactly why Linus said "v2 only". The GPL say
"similiar license" but Linus doesn't trust Richard. That's fine, I don't
trust Richard or Linus 8)

If people are going to say "v2 only" they should most definitely make
sure they assign Linus or some similar person the right to revisit that
decision.

Alan