AF_UNIX sockets: strange behaviour

From: Catalin Drula
Date: Wed Nov 17 2004 - 10:30:24 EST

Hi,

I have a small application that communicates over Bluetooth. I use
connection-oriented UNIX domain sockets (AF_UNIX, SOCK_STREAM) to
communicate between the applications's threads. When reading from
one of these sockets, I get a strange behaviour: if I read all the
bytes that are available (13, in this case) all at once, it's fine;
however, if I try to read in two smaller batches (say, first time
6, and second time 7), the first read returns (with the 6 bytes), but
the second read never returns.

As far as I know, this is not expected behaviour for SOCK_STREAM sockets.
I tried looking into the problem so I instrumented net/unix/af_unix.c to
see what is going on. More specifically, I was focusing on the function
unix_stream_recvmsg. Here is what I noticed:

- there is a skb in the sk_receive_queue with a len of 13
- 6 bytes are read from it
- a skb with the remaining 7 bytes is requeued in sk_receive_queue
- on the next call to unix_stream_recvmsg, the sk_receive_queue is
empty (!)

Thus, this confirms the behaviour observed from userspace. Is this a bug?
Who could be removing the skb from the receive_queue?

Thanks for any ideas/suggestions,

Catalin

ps Please cc: your replies to me.