Re: 2.6.9: unkillable processes during heavy IO

From: Brad Fitzpatrick
Date: Wed Nov 17 2004 - 02:03:58 EST

Nathan,

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004, Nathan Scott wrote:

> Brad, could you send me details on how you've setup mysqld
> and how to generate a load similar to yours, so that I can
> reproduce the hang locally?

The MySQL people made a tool to reproduce MySQL-like load for the specific
purpose of not putting you through the database setup pain:

http://sysbench.sourceforge.net/

To simulate our InnoDB:

-- use the tool to do "seqwr" and write out a 50GB file or so

-- use the tool to make another file, about 30GB.

-- use the tool to do "rndrw" to do random I/O over that 50 GB
file, with the O_DIRECT flag on, with a bunch of threads doing
16k reads/writes.

-- use the tool to do random IO w/o O_DIRECT on the smaller file
at the same time as the O_DIRECT run, also with a number of
threads, doing smaller reads/writes.

This is happening on a machine with LVM2, as well as directly on
/dev/sdb2 (an IBM ServeRAID), so device-mapper shouldn't be an issue one
way or another.

The filesystem size is 270 GB on one machine (on /dev/sdb2) and 120 GB on
LVM2.

> ( I don't even know what those two things are, so you can
> probably guess at the level of assistance I'll need here. :)

Well, sysbench should help you find the problem.

Let me know if I can help more. Thanks for looking into this.

- Brad