Re: 2.6.10-rc2-mm1

From: Dave Airlie
Date: Tue Nov 16 2004 - 22:23:39 EST

(sorry Andrew for the DUP- I'm still learning how to drive gmail :-)

> > Why was the VIA DRM removed? It was in 2.6.9-mm1 but seems to be gone
> > now.

I asked Andrew to kill it, I wasn't happy with it security wise still,
resurrecting it could be messy as the tree isn't converted over to the
core/library split, I'll probably pick it back up once Linus merges
the current diffs after 2.6.10 is released... VIA DRM still only is
useful for 2D HwMC stuff for non-root users, having to make a user run
3d apps as root is probably worse than having an in-secure DRM, so I'm
still waiting for the VIA/unichrome people to see what they can do
with it...

Dave.