Re: [RFC] Making compound pages mandatory

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Tue Nov 16 2004 - 21:30:49 EST

Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Nov 2004, David Howells wrote:
> >
> > Do you have any objection to compound pages being made mandatory, even without
> > HUGETLB support?
>
> I haven't really looked into it, so I cannot make an informed decision.
> How big is the overhead? And what's the _point_, since we don't seem to
> need them normally, but the code is there for people who _do_ need them?

Yes, it's just the single pointer chase. Probably that's the common case
now, because everyone will be enabling hugepages on lots of architectures.

But still, the non-compound code is well tested too, and leaving it in
place does make a little microoptimisation available to those who want it,
so I don't see a reason yet to make compound pages compulsory.

So I'd suggest that we make compound pages conditional on a new
CONFIG_COMPOUND_PAGE and make that equal to HUGETLB_PAGE || !MMU.